Monday, December 7, 2015

Keep the Faith

I hope you have had a chance to see Bishop Michael’s video from his hospital in Richmond by now.  I love its ending the best.  “God bless you.  Keep the faith.”  It is something my friend Michael so often says.  “Keep the faith.” 
This week’s lesson from Philippians has some very timely but difficult to keep advice for me.  Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:4-7)  The “do not worry about anything” part trips me up every time, probably because I have my doubts about the “Lord is near” part. 
I have now worked for two Presiding Bishops.  I have accepted their invitations to be the Chief Operating Officer because I knew I had something to learn.  I now realize it was about this very passage.  Rejoice in the Lord always.  The Lord is near.  Do not worry about anything. 
Bishop Katharine had something to teach me about the do not worry part.  I have never seen anyone as cool and calm under any circumstances.  Bishop Michael has something to teach me about the Lord is near part.  I know that when he says it, he believes it and he means it. 
So somehow, at the end of this, what I hope is that I’ve learned enough to get the rejoice in the Lord always part.  And if I do, I think I might also get the peace that surpasses all understanding that will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus part.
So, for now, I’m going to concentrate on the other part of this passage, the one about prayer.  By prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God.  I commend the same to you.
Keep the faith.
Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment