Monday, June 30, 2014

Red Rover, Red Rover

It’s a game from our childhoods.  One side calls to the other, “Red rover, red rover, let [fill in the blank] come over.”  And a child runs across the field trying to break through the line of the callers.  And so it goes until everyone is called across.
Children are the same, first century or twenty-first, ancient Palestine or modern North America.  Jesus alludes to such a game in this week’s gospel.  “But to what will I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to one another, ‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we wailed, and you did not mourn.’”  (Mt. 11:16-17)  You can almost see the children running and laughing, bouncing between the groups—flute players who do not dance and wailers who do not mourn.  It’s a game. 
Jesus can certainly be serious when he wants to.  This week, I think he’s playing a game, and in encouraging a little playfulness in light of what could be a very serious situation.  After all, John came neither eating nor drinking, and they said he was a demon.  Jesus came both eating and drinking, and they said he was a drunkard and a glutton.  You can’t win.  You can get all serious about it or you can just laugh.  Laughing is better.
So, when it all seems to get too serious, just remember it’s a game.  Lighten up.  Relax.    Don’t be so uptight.  It’s just like Jesus said.  “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment