Monday, October 21, 2013

Being Thankful

When my children were young, my mother gave them a book.  It was called I Never Say I’m Thankful but I Am.  It was about all the things parents do for their children, especially when they are little, including especially the dirtiest tasks and the ones that try our patience.  It had a picture on the cover of a little boy sitting on the potty.  You get the message. The implicit message was that children never express their gratitude for all the things we do for them, but that they are learning to be grateful human beings nevertheless.
The book, and the concept behind it, relate to the gospel for this week (Lk. 18:9-14).  It is a parable about a Pharisee and a tax collector going to the temple to pray.  It doesn’t really have anything at all to do with saying thank you.  It does have something to do with the need to.  It is the basic issue of Christian life, it seems to me—living thankfully.
The Pharisee prayed, “God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.  I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.”  The man was only being truthful.  The Pharisees were good people.  The best people.  They were the most religious people.  They did what they were supposed to do.  They followed the law.  They went beyond following the law.  They were the good church going people.  They were, if you’ll pardon me, us.
The tax collector prayed differently, but he, too, prayed truthfully.  “God, be merciful to me, a sinner.”  Tax collectors, known for being extortionists among other things, were not the best people.
Here, I think, is the point.  The person who left justified to God was the one with little to be thankful for.  The one who left not justified was the one with the most to be thankful for.  The one who had received the most grace from God was not justified.  The one who did not, was justified.
Here is the most disturbing lesson I’ve learned in nearly 25 years of trying to be a pastor.  The very people who have received the most very often have the hardest time being followers of Jesus, myself included most of all.  The very people who have the most reason to be thankful, rarely are. 
And here is the disturbing reality of how I see this playing out.  The people who have received the most grace from God are very often the ones who have the hardest time showing grace to others.  It is the people with the most who are very often the ones who get what they’ve been given confused with what they’ve earned, what has been entrusted to them with what is owned by them, what is compassion shown to them confused with what they are owed, what is mercy confused with what they deserve, what is a gift to them with what is the result of their own moral superiority, which is precisely what the Pharisee in the parable did.  It is a paradox of how God works that is difficult to understand.  The greater the grace, the danger is that the more it tends to separate from God rather than draw to God. 
We must not let that happen to us.
Peace,
+Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment